Wednesday, September 9, 2015

At the Shore

 

I love the beach! I grew up going to the shore with my family every summer either for the day or for the week. But it wasn’t until my adulthood that I started to appreciate the beauty of the beach. The relaxing sound of the waves crashing, the salty smell and the coolness of the sea breeze and my favorite - sea shells.
 
Every time I go to the beach I collect shells. I started doing it ten years ago when I lived in Florida. I was given an indoor water feature that I put in my bathroom and filled with sea shells I’d collected. My bathroom decor even included a conch shell I smuggled back from my trip to the Bahamas.

I think part of the reason I collect shells is for souvenirs of my trips. But also I’ve always thought of making jewelry out of them. I love shell jewelry! At home I had several sets in different color shells. I only brought one with me to the UK.
 
So my first real entry for the blog are earrings that I’ve made from shells I collected on my trips to the shore or as I believe they call it here the seaside. Last fall my partner and I took a few trips to the seaside; Sheppy, Bexhill, Hastings and Whitstable. We’ve gone to a lot more this year; Worthing, Littlehampton, Penarth, Barry Island,  Margate and back to Whitstable.
 
Sheppy
Hastings












I can’t recall for sure where the shells I collected last year are from because I stored them together. But I know for sure these two are from Margate. 

Margate
Herne Bay











Unfortunately, because the shells are natural the pairs are not identical in color or size, but I have tried to make them from shells that were close. I must say making these earrings was much more complicated than I anticipated. Even once I made the holes a few broke in the process of threading. Sacrifices to the God of pretty earrings.



Herne Bay Sold
Hastings, Margate and Sheppy - $12.15 for US shipping, £7.50 for UK shipping


 

No comments:

Post a Comment