Friday, September 18, 2015

Eco-chic!


 
So I haven’t been out much lately, mainly because of the weather, then Neil got a cold and now I have it. So we haven’t really had any journeys, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been busy.
See, I’ a recycling fanatic. Really! My grandfather got me into recycling when I was very young, back in the day when you got paid for taking cans to a recycling center before it was collected with your trash. When my best friend’s neighborhood in Pennsylvania didn’t recycle every time I went to visit (almost every week) I’d fill my car with plastic and glass bottles, and aluminum cans to take home and recycle.
So last week I had an idea and I’ve been working on it ever since. I’m making earrings out of recyclable materials.  Right now I'm using plastic store shopping bags. These bags are often not accepted in local/municipal collections. You know the kind of bags you can turn in at Walmart, but that means you have to collect them and keep them handy so you can take them on your next trip. I used to do that and I’d forget. Once a month I'd end up going to Walmart (or Wawa) and recycling 5 bags full of bags. Sometimes the receptacles would already be full. 
By the end of the year in the UK all stores will begin charging for plastic shopping bags as a way of deterring people from using them. All the stores have starting selling their own reusable bags. They can be pretty fashionable too. But, I'm a bag lady.


Circles

So here’s what I have so far. I’m working on a few other designs and styles. The plastic bags give a very nice texture and appearance to the earrings, also it is easily manipulated while hot.  Plus I’m looking at using other types of plastic as well. The only big thing is I don’t really have control over the colors. Also a lot of stores add printing to their bags which isn’t as nice to work with.
 
Dotty!
 

So here’s something for my eco chic ladies. Helping the environment while looking fabulous.

 

Rectangles

I’ll continue to work on this for a while but I have lots of other materials in the meantime. Hopefully it won’t be so long before my next post.
 

Circles and Rectangles £4.50 or $8.65
Dotty £3.50 or $6.85

Only one of each in stock . All prices include shipping. Shipping available to US and UK.
For purchase leave a comment  or send an email I'll respond with Paypal info. Items will be shipped once payment is confirmed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment