Sunday, March 19, 2017

Epic Fair or Epic Fail?


 

I was really excited about the spring fair; the Christmas fair was very successful. I made quite a few sales and had a lot of interest. On Saturday we arrived at the hall for the Spring Fair I noticed the size had decreased. In November the fair took up the main hall and both smaller side rooms. This time everyone was cramped into the main hall. The organizer told me there were more vendors which is unbelievable. In the winter we were placed by one of the entrances so we got a lot of foot traffic. This time we were in the corner between the Baptist Church stall and the hand-woven woolen items. Youd think that since both those stalls were heaving with people wed still get a lot of traffic, but no. Funny enough everyone walked by looking up to the ceiling as they passed our stall.

Id hoped that some of the happy customers from Christmas would come back looking for more treasure. The only recognizable face was our neighbor, who did mention that she loves her ‘Jacqueline Frosts’ and she still wears them.

As posted on FB and Twitter, I had a lucky dip on the day. Prizes included not only earrings but chocolate and stationary. The Lucky Dip did bring a bit of interest, especially from the older gentleman who luckily drew a bar of Cadburys chocolate. A few youngsters took a dip to get earrings for their moms for Mothers Day which is in the end of March here in the UK. But no one made any purchases.

Needless to say Saturday afternoon I was crushed. I guess I shouldnt have been though. I should explain that Wraysbury is a small hateful town which masquerades as a lovely quaint village. I would say racist but they werent particularly nice to Neils mother when she moved here 60 years ago because she was from Germany (and Jewish). There arent many minorities here, and the town is run by a few self-absorbed, close-minded, bossy people. If I had my way I wouldnt live here; I hate it! And when I get to leave Im going to post a seething rant on the “village” fb page to tell these people how I really feel.

I shouldnt be upset that they werent interested in my earrings, although I am. What upsets me more is that they didnt bother to look at the product because of who was sitting at the table. Unfortunately my circumstances will not let me travel to other places to do fairs and shows. So Ill have to stick with the blog and social media for product exposure. And Id really appreciate it if my loyal followers would share posts with their friends to expand my reach. Dont share this one though, I dont want people to think this is what its always like!

No comments:

Post a Comment