Wednesday, October 25, 2017

It's Not All About Earrings


 As I said, I do other crafty things besides the earrings. I’ve made some additions to the book which hopefully I’ll share soon. But since it’s almost Halloween I thought I’d share with you what I did last week. Click on any of the links to see Neil's blog about our last three Halloweens.

2014 and 2015 on top, 2016 (2) on bottom
I have to admit, I don’t know if I ever made a Jack O’Lantern before I met Neil. But once we were together I had to make sure he got to experience EVERY holiday. This year though is a little different. Usually we make our Jack (or Jacks – last year we made two) together. But Neil wore himself out yesterday and didn’t feel like helping.


I spent a few hours one day picking out the template, I wanted a fiery Jack this year. I also wanted a big one so we purchased a “giant” pumpkin. So I downloaded the picture of the Jack I wanted, then held a piece of paper up to the screen of my laptop and traced the eyes and mouth. I freehanded the top of the pumpkin, I went for an open top Jack this year, and I have a surprise for Neil later (hint: it will be fiery).

 
On Friday I made Jack. First I cut around the outline on the top. Only about a quarter of the way around I noticed that the knife was starting to bend. Last year we purchased a (tiny) Jack O’Lantern carving kit from the grocery store after Halloween for about 5p. It has 2 knives, two punchers and a scooper. After I carved the top out I scooped out the seeds. This year I left the flesh inside. I usually cut it out and use the flesh to make soup or pancakes, but the flesh is actually rather tasteless so I left it in the pumpkin.

 
Then I taped the trace to the pumpkin and punched holes around the outline so that the outline would be perforated on the pumpkin.  Then using the knives from the kit (with occasional help from our regular knife) I cut out the face.


Now I said that the knife from the kit started to bend before I cut out the design of the top. Here you can see how the knife should look, how it looked after cutting the top out and how it looks now. From straight to a twisted ninety degree angle.

And here you can see Jack in all of his horror.




Hopefully he will frighten the spirits away this Samhain!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment